20 Simple Ways to Choose Happiness NOW
Hello lovelies! Today I want to focus on ways you can choose happiness TODAY. We all know that time is one thing we cannot get back so why should we spend it being anything but happy?
So, are you a glass half empty, or glass half full kinda gal? One of the things I have learned is that happiness is based on perspective. When we make it a point to view our situations from different perspectives, it opens the door to reasons for being happy that we may have not otherwise known.
Now, without further ado, I have brought together a list of ways to make the most of your day and be happy in the present! Please chime in and let me know of ways that you have found which help you to find happiness daily.
1) Pray/Spend Time in the Word- Whenever I notice I am being short-tempered, anxious or bitter, I know that is a tell-tale sign that I need to fellowship more with the Lord. Whether I take a few minutes here and there to say a quick prayer or to just read a few verses in my Bible, it is amazing how much difference time with the Lord makes.
2) Find 2-3 Good Things for Every Negative One- We can all pick out things we don't like about ourselves and the saying is true that we are our own worst critics, but instead of dwelling on these "imperfections", make it a point to list two to three good characteristics about yourself. Words are powerful and when we choose to speak life and positivity instead of destruction and negativity, you would be surprised how much different that in itself can make you feel.
3) Take Personal Time- Whether you take some time off from work, have a girl's night out, or just decide to give yourself an hour a day to relax and do something you enjoy doing, taking time to yourself and getting away from the hectic obligations of every day demands will do wonders for your physical and mental well-being!
4) Exercise- This is something that most of us dread if we are being honest, but in all honesty exercise is a great way to not only boost your attitude but your self esteem too! When I work out, I feel better physically and mentally. What better way to feel good about yourself than to know you are taking care of your body and fixing those trouble areas at the same time ? ;)
5) Declutter/Clean- I am always amazed at how much clutter and disorganization can stress me out. Something as simple as straightening up my room, making my bed and making sure the dishes are out of the sink can do wonders for my day! Not only is cleaning up easy on the eyes, but it is a great stress reliever as well.
6) Smile (On Purpose)- Smiling will make you feel better and those around you which in turn keeps the atmosphere light. I always say, it is pretty hard to have a bad day when you are smiling! Plus, smiling is contagious so what better way to spread joy to those around you?!
7) Skip Gossip- Not only does gossip make us seem petty, but it is can often get us into uncomfortable situations. Also, I am pretty sure that 85 percent of the time, gossip is false and that often leads to hurting other people. I don't know about you, but I cannot stay happy when I know that someone else is hurt by me, whether it was on purpose or not.
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.- Epesians 4:29
The bad thing about gossip, is that it is so easy to be guilty of it. We often do this without thinking about it and without realizing it. This is why it is so important to discipline ourselves to think and speak positively and to be careful with who and what we align ourselves with. You can find a several verses about gossip here.
8) Stop Comparing- This is one of the main reasons women find themselves lacking happiness. The bottom line is this. No matter who you are, there will always be someone who seems prettier, smarter, wealthier, or more successful. The best thing I know to tell you is that we never know someone else's story, whether it looks picture perfect or not. We have to learn to be proud of who we are, where we are, and at the very time that we are in.
9) Leave a Generous Tip- This one can be tough. Especially when you seem to havea server who let's your drink go dry, or spends her time texting instead of making sure you have a meal that was worth what you paid for it. But the truth is, 99 percent of servers literally live off of their tips. Generally, the ones who do not care about their guests are the ones who are only working because their parents are making them, but these opportunities can be used to make a difference in these exceptions. When you leave a nice tip (generally a third of the bill, sometimes we tip 50 or 75 percent) this is a great way to grab someone's attention and make them think "why?" . Not only does this bless the giver, but it can be the difference in the receiver's attitude for the rest of their shift and possible future shifts.
10) Write Encouraging Notes/Scriptures- One thing that I have found does wonders for me at work and at home is to surround myself with scriptures or encouraging quotes. Write these down on sticky notes, on an organizational board, make them a screen saveror frame them so that you see and take these in all throughout your day. Not only will you be filling your mind with positive and uplifting thoughts, but you will be committing these to memory as well, and you will be surprised how often they will come to mind when you need them most.
11) Break From Social Media- This is also a HARD one. With technology making contact with the world literally a finger-tap away, most Americans spend more than half of their time on some form of social media. Whether it is Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat or Pinterest, we are constantly exposed to other people and their lives. Most of these platforms also have a tendency to create tension, discontentment, jealousy, insecurity and more. When you only see snapshots of people's lives, it is easy to see a picture that isn't the whole one, so there is a false perception of all the people we are connected with. While there are many people who use their social media to encourage and uplift others, the majority on these sites do not. It is easy to let social media affect how we feel about ourselves, our situations and our lives in general. So take a week off (or more!) and see how much better you feel when you don't have to worry about keeping up with the Joneses or taking that selfie that shows you from the perfect angle. How freeing it is to unplug every now and then.
12) Forgive- Have you ever heard the saying that forgiveness isn't for the other person, it is for you? Well this is 100 percent true. When you decide to forgive someone, or ask someone for forgiveness, you are able to finally let go of a huge weight that the initial offense has caused. And you may not realize it but offenses get heavier over time. When we don't forgive someone we allow ourselves to become tainted and in the process, we become unhappy. Whether someone apologizes or not, forgive them. Whether someone accepts your apology or not, ask for their forgiveness.
13) Do Random Acts of Kindness- This one is soooo simple, yet it can bring some of the greatest amount of joy. Open and hold a door for someone, say "Hello" , acknowledge people who no one else "sees" (ie. custodians, security officers, aisle stocker at the grocery store etc), pay for someone's meal, send a "just because" or "thinking of you" card, pay for someone's gas, take donuts or coffee into the office or pray for someone.Sometimes, just letting people know that you care can mean a world of difference andI whole-heartedly believe that something as small as one of these things, can be the difference in a bad day and a good day to some people. I have had each of the above things done to me in the past and it is truly a day changer. Plus, when you get to see the positive impact you have on another person, there is no purer form of honor than that.
14) Uplift Others- Similar to the random acts of kindness, this idea is that by uplifting others, you get satisfaction in knowing that you have made a difference in someone else's day or life. Whether you want to send someone a scripture verse, give them a compliment, or just encourage them in their current endeavors, uplifting others is a great way to make a positive impact on those around us. Remember,
"Pleasant words are like a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul, and health to the bones"- Proverbs 16:24
15) Show Gratitude- When we are thankful for our situations (even the ones we don't feel like are completely wonderful or the way we would prefer), our moral can be boosted. Choosing to say something could be worse, so I am thankful it is not, or looking at others who do have things worse, is a great way to be grateful and content with what we have and where we are in life. By being gracious, we choose not to let our circumstances have a hold on us. Why should we let things we have no control over, have so much control on us?
16) Forgive- Have you ever heard the saying that forgiveness isn't for the other person, it is for you? Well this is 100 percent true. When you decide to forgive someone, or ask someone for forgiveness, you are able to finally let go of a huge weight that the initial offense has caused. And you may not realize it but offenses get heavier over time. When we don't forgive someone we allow ourselves to become tainted and in the process, we become unhappy. Whether someone apologizes or not, forgive them. Whether someone accepts your apology or not, ask for their forgiveness.
17) Filter the Company You Keep- I know there are people in our lives that we have known or been friends with since we can remember, but that does not necessarily mean we should keep in contact with them. The truth is, people change and we have a tendency to want to live in the past because our memories may be good ones. But when people begin to bring you down, or provide negativity to your life, it is time to change your surroundings. This includes people who are constantly in drama or negative situations as well, because they have a habit of latching onto us and we end up taking on these burdens as well. I am not saying we should not be there for friends or others who are struggling, I am saying that when it gets to a point to where we are not helping the situation but are actually becoming worn down ourselves, we need to take a step back and look for alternative ways to help the situation. Also, if you are hanging out with people that you are not comfortable with just for the sake of being liked, or "just because", then slowly and kindly start to distance yourself. It may be hard to do at the time, but in the end everyone involved will be much happier.
18) Stop Worrying- Worrying can take up so much of your Happiness. The thing about worry, is that is is something that is false. Worrying over something will not change the situation or the outcome, so why spend time worrying over it.
Luke 12:25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?
In all actuality, worry is a false emotion created by fear which is also a false emotion. Fear is something that we have about things that are unknown. Worry and fear are both something that we can allow, or we can choose not to allow. Is it hard at times, to not be fearful of scary circumstances? Of course. But, when you choose to not let circumstances affect how you live your life or your happiness, there is great peace in being free from fear. For more verses on worry and anxiety, you can click here.
19) Eat Dessert- This one is just for fun and just because! How many times have you wanted to get that decadent chocolate lave cake orgooey chocolate chip cookie dessert after dinner, but you thought, " Oh, I don't really need that" or "I am trying to be good and eat healthy". Well let me tell you this... indulging in a nice treat every once in a blue moon never hurt nobody! <-- that is my southern showing :) Take a risk and spoil yourself with dessert when it looks more appealing to you. Sometimes the smallest and simplest things in life can make all the difference!
20) Simplify Your Life- When you take out all of the complicated details of life, everything becomes so simple. We have a habit of over-complicating things (especially as women!) and in the process, we end up stressing ourselves out over something that should be complicated at all! Life really is black and white for the most part, sure there are bits and pieces that get a little grey when the details get blurred but overall, these even out in the end. Simplify your life by getting rid of toxic people (people who do not edify or add to your well-being), determining your necessities vs wants (trust me the wants are extremely high in a world where everything revolves around money and the latest technology or possessions), choosing the positive over the negative, making time instead of wasting it, and choosing to cherish what you have while you have it.
So there you have it! 20 Simple Ways to Choose Happiness NOW! I hope these have been an encouragement and inspiration to you and I hope you will take the time to try these for yourself! And remember, happiness is a choice not an option!
Peace, Happiness and Blessings!